Downloaders, this is not a drill. There’s 1 MONTH to go until Download! That’s right, there’s just 31 days until we all reunite in Donington once more.
Download Dog can’t wait – in fact, he’s packed already. Here’s his guide to getting ready for the biggest weekend in the UK rock calendar.
Sort Your Festival Essentials
It goes without saying that you need to pack your tent, sleeping bag, and other camping gear – but what about those other festy essentials that often get forgotten? Here’s my checklist so you can make sure you don’t get caught out.
- Hygiene stuff: toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, biodegradable wet wipes, hand sanitiser, loo roll. It gets sweaty in the pit!
- Sun cream, sunglasses and sun hat – you don’t want to turn as red as me
- Portable charger to stay connected with your mates
- A mini bag or bum pack to take into the arena for your phone, card and other bits – you don’t wanna be lugging a backpack around everywhere
- ID if you’re planning to buy booze
- Wellies and a waterproof jacket in case it rains
- Rock ‘n’ roll outfits and accessories – I never go anywhere without my studded wristbands! (but I take them off before I go in the pit)
- Take more underwear and socks than you think you’ll need. Trust me on this one
- Earplugs – you gotta protect your hearing so you can rock out at Download for many years to come. You could even get these cool Download branded ones
- Refillable water bottle to fill up at the water points!
Sort OUt How You’re Getting There
Don’t leave it to the last minute! Work out how you’re getting to Donington now. Personally I recommend Big Green Coach – they pick up from 69 different locations across the country! They’ll drop you off right at the Transport Hub and pick you up there on Monday morning. And if you’re not camping, they do day return coaches too.
If you’re planning to get the train, your nearest stations are Derby and East Midlands Parkway. There’ll be shuttle buses to the festival running from both of these. Check our Travel Page for more info!
Driving? Carshare with your mates to reduce your carbon footprint and also split the petrol bill. You can all get singing along to some Download tunes (see our playlist below).
Finally, if you’re joining the Heavy Metal Truants for the epic cycle ride to Download – you are LEGENDARY! I’ll be there at the finish line to give you a fist bump!
Listen TO THe DL22 Official Playlist
It’s time to get hyped! If you aren’t already, follow the official Download 2022 playlist and crank it up. It features loads of mosh classics – Iron Maiden‘s ‘The Trooper’, Korn‘s ‘Freak On A Leash’, Megadeth‘s ‘Symphony of Destruction’ and Skindred‘s ‘Nobody’ are some of my favourites.
grab your extras
Don’t forget to swing by the Extras tab to see if there’s anything you wanna add to make your festival experience even sweeter.
Refresh Retreat have posh loos and showers on site if you don’t wanna leave your home comforts behind. You can also reserve a locker to hold all your valuables (they’ve even got USB charging points in them), or pre-order a portable phone charger courtesy of Charge Candy. And if you want access to our special Guest Area where all the VIPs (like me) hang out, you can book that in advance too.
And don’t forget that if you’re bringing a car or a motorbike to Download, you need to buy a car park pass!
If you’ve not got your tickets yet, it’s not too late! Grab ’em now and I’ll see you in Donington next month!