Welcome to the second edition of the Dog Blog! In this month’s post the Download Dog has got green paws as we update you on all of the latest environmental news about the festival.
We’re proud to announce Greenpeace will be hosting an exciting new eco campsite called Eco-Camp for you to stay in at this year’s festival. You can also find out how green Download 2017 was as we reveal the number of stars we were awarded in the Creative Green Certification. And, last but not least discover how we’re balancing our carbon emissions by donating £1 of the cost of your parking pass to the charity, Energy Revolution.
Greenpeace are hosting a brand new campsite called Eco-Camp in a beautiful part of the Donington Estate, which is home to ancient oak trees and native wildlife. It’s a free campsite for you Downloaders who value spending five glorious days in the great outdoors and respecting the environment just as much as rocking out to your favourite bands.
In the Eco-Camp you can meet like-minded people and take part in morning yoga sessions, nature walks and talks on all things Eco. It’s a community within a community where everyone is committed to keeping their camp clean, recycling is second nature and everything that is brought in is taken away again with only the experience and memories remaining.
Staying in the campsite is free with a valid weekend ticket to Download 2018, but you must pre-register in advance (four tents maximum) and sign up to a set of eco-principles. These principles include: respecting the natural environment and fellow campers, being responsible for your rubbish and taking your camping equipment home with you. Limited places are available. Visit the Eco-Camp page to find out more information and how to register.
Creative Green Certification
Since 2016 Download has participated in the Creative Green Certification. This is an external assessment by Julie’s Bicycle – a charity who support the creative industries to act on climate change – to measure our understanding, commitment and improvement towards environmental sustainability.
The data has been gathered, the evidence reviewed, the numbers crunched and the results of Download 2017 Creative Green Certification can be now revealed. [Drum roll] And, we are very pleased to announce Download 2017 achieved an awesome four out of five stars!
We received praise in the following areas:
- The introduction of reusable cups greatly reduced the amount of waste in the arena
- The introduction of a deposit return scheme on plastic bottles ensured the bottles collected were recycled
- Not allowing food traders to use single use plastic cutlery or food containers
- Our partnership with Greenpeace who spoke to you their oceans plastic campaign
- A three bin system in the campsites offering separation of recycling and food waste
- Providing recycling bags to all festival goers and recycling points to take them to when full
- Working with Liftshare to promote car sharing to the festival to reduce carbon emissions from car travel
- Requiring our main contractors so submit their mileage to gain an understanding of the carbon emissions from production travel
- Monitoring our waste, power and water consumption and using the data to set targets for future years.
Read the full report. We could not have done any of this without your help, so a huge thank you to the environmentally conscious Download community who participated in our initiatives. We have lots of exciting plans in 2018 that we can’t wait to share with you.
The Energy Revolution
The main contributor of carbon emissions at festivals is travel, which accounts for 70% of a festival’s carbon footprint. This is why at Download Festival we have introduced carbon balancing to our car and motorcycle parking prices. £1 of the cost of your parking pass will be donated to the charity Energy Revolution, who invest in renewable energy projects. Watch their video to find out more. If you don’t want to travel by car, there are other forms of lower carbon to travel to the festival such as Big Green Coach or train with direct shuttle buses to the festival. To find out more check out our travel page on the website.
We look forward to seeing you at Download to celebrate this fantastic rock we call home \m/.