The UK Air Guitar Championships at Download Festival in connection with and governed by the official Air Guitar World Championships adheres to the following rules, competition outline and manifesto:
*** AIR GUITAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS OFFICIAL MANIFESTO ***
The purpose of the Air Guitar World Championships is to promote world peace. According to the ideology of the air guitar, wars end, global warming stops, and all the other bad things disappear if everybody in the world plays air guitar. To honour this purpose, at the end of every Air Guitar World Championships competition, all the people of the world are called upon to simultaneously play the air guitar for saving the world.
1. Invisible Instrument & dress code
- The instrument of the contestant must be invisible, i.e. air.
- The contestant can use either an electric or an acoustic air guitar – or both.
- There is no dress code, but the contestants may use props as they wish. (However, all real musical instruments are forbidden.)
2. How to Enter
- If you wish to enter the UK Air Guitar Championships at Download Festival you must complete the entry form.
- You can chose to enter any of the three heats of the competition on Friday 8th June listed below with the chance to be invited back to the Semi Finals and Grand Final on Saturday 8th June
- You must answer all the questions on the entry form in full and print off your entry form to bring with you to the SINDROME for your chosen heat
- Once at the SINDROME please turn up no later than the arrival times listed below as this is when the next selection process will begin
- The contestants with the best costumes and Rock God/Goddess vibes are the most likely to be shortlisted to enter the competition heats. We will be sending scouts into the crowds to pick the best 15 entrants to perform onstage at Download Festival on the SINDROME stage in the MAIN ARENA!
- Once you have arrived at the SINDROME and identified yourself to Air Guitar Officials you will be given a sticker and asked to wait at the SINDROME area for the selections to start
- Please note if you enter the completion you must be available to fly to Finland on 23rd August for the AIR GUITAR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS & be available to head back to Download in 2019 to retain your crown!
3. Program of the Competition
There will be three heats on Friday 8th June. In each heat 15 of the most astounding entrants will be chosen to perform. The heats will run as follows:
REGISTRATION AT SINDROME – 14:45
SELECTION BEGINS – 15:00
HEAT ONE 1ST CONTESTANT INVITED TO STAGE: 16:00
REGISTRATION AT SINDROME – 17:00
SELECTION BEGINS – 17:15
HEAT ONE 1ST CONTESTANT INVITED TO STAGE 18:15
REGISTRATION AT SINDROME – 19:00
SELECTION BEGINS – 19:20
HEAT ONE 1ST CONTESTANT INVITED TO STAGE 20:05
In each heat each contestant will be invited to perform the first 60 seconds of their chosen song. This song is to be picked from the list of 20 options on from the Spotify playlist. You may practise this song as many times as you wish. The best three contestants from each heat will be invited to the Semi Finals on Saturday.
There will be two semi finals on Saturday 9th June at the SINDROME in the main arena. For the first round ALL 9 semi finalists will be invited to the SINDROME to compete against each other in two rounds.
Round 1: Optional song 60 seconds long, chosen from a list of 20 tracks from the Spotify playlist below.
Round 2: Obligatory 60 second song which the contestants hear only immediately before entering the semi final.
SEMI FINAL ROUND 1
REGISTRATION AT SINDROME – 15:00
SEMI FINAL ROUND 1 – 1st CONTESTANT INVITED TO STAGE 16:00
SEMI FINAL ROUND 2
REGISTRATION AT SINDROME – 17:00
SEMI FINAL ROUND 1 – 1st CONTESTANT INVITED TO STAGE 18:00
The best 3 contestants from the semi finals will be invited to compete in the GRAND FINAL
In the Grand Final the contestants perform two songs in two separate rounds. The duration of the songs is 60 seconds each. The rounds are:
Round 1: Optional song 60 seconds long, chosen from a list of 20 tracks from the Spotify playlist – this cannot be a repeat performance from the previous heats.
Round 2: Obligatory 60 second song which the contestants hear only immediately before entering the Grand Final.
4. Judges of the Competition
The jury consider the following performance aspects when making their decisions:
- The ability to be taken over by the music
- Stage prescence
- Technical merit
- Artistic impression
Each member of the jury gives marks from 4.0 to 6.0 for a performance. The points scored by a contestant from both rounds are added together, and the contestant thus receiving the highest total score wins. For the Grand Final we will also be judging the winner by who gets the best reaction from the crowd.
Have you got what it takes to be crowned the winner of the UK Air Guitar Championships at Download Festival? Complete the form below to find out.